Help please! Used toxic 2-part epoxy on hardscape. Need advi

Jasonp

Oliver Knott recommended this forum to me, so thanks so much in advance to anyone who can help me. After 6 months, i am finally done building my hardscape for my new 60 gallon (about 227 L) tank. It consists of some large manzanita and ryuoh stone, on top of an acrylic and porcelain foundation (photos included). It's in two parts and together probably weighs about 80+ pounds (about 36 kg) total. In order to strengthen this whole thing, i applied epoxy glue (Loctite 1 minute instant mix of resin and hardener) into all the nooks and crevices, mainly to support some heavy rock overhangs. The next day, i read that epoxy is toxic! Literally everything else in the hardscape is safe, such as the stainless steel screws and fish-safe putty. I didn't use silicone because I didn't think it would be strong enough. Did I ruin this 6 month long project? Is there anything I can apply over the epoxy to decrease how much it leaches into the water? Or do i have to remove all the epoxy (which is hard in the tiny crevices)?. The epoxy has been drying for 2-3 weeks now, and I was planning on cycling the tank for at least two weeks. But I don't want to risk killing plants or fish. Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anhänge

• Snapseed.jpg
    Snapseed.jpg
    1,7 MB · Aufrufe: 837
  • Snapseed.jpg
    Snapseed.jpg
    1,8 MB · Aufrufe: 841

Wuestenrose

Re: Help please! Used toxic 2-part epoxy on hardscape. Need

Good evening, Jason...

And thank you for visiting us :thumbs: .

The two parts, resin and hardener, are toxic when seperated from each other. But, as far as I know, the finalized resin, properly mixed and completely cured, is not toxic any more. As a precaution, perform some water changes at an increased rate and it should be ok.

Greets,
Robert

Jasonp

Wuestenrose":zfg6ez3f schrieb:
Good evening, Jason...

And thank you for visiting us :thumbs: .

The two parts, resin and hardener, are toxic when seperated from each other. But, as far as I know, the finalized resin, properly mixed and completely cured, is not toxic any more. As a precaution, perform some water changes at an increased rate and it should be ok.

Greets,
Robert

Thanks a lot, Robert. The manufacturer data sheet says not to put in potable water and that may break down over time in water. Do you think this is just precautionary? Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LeonOli

Hello Jason,

I have used epoxi some years ago to apply it onto some stones and also build a Background for my tank from coloured epoxi and styrofoam.
Nothing went wrong with it, in its final form it wasnt toxic. (See Roberts post above)

I have used this epoxi:
http://www.breddermann-kunstharze.de/aquaristik_terraristik_suess__meerwasser/e45tm_400g17107.html
E45TM
This one is espacially authorized for use in fresh and salt-water

Maybe you can read some more with the help of the google-translator in the following topics:
bastelanleitungen/wurzeln-bzw-steine-mit-kunstharz-beschichtung-t26921.html?hilit=%20R%C3%BCckwand
&
bastelanleitungen/epoxid-oder-ahnliches-im-becken-t18349.html?hilit=%20R%C3%BCckwand

kind regards
Oliver

Jasonp