- Parrot's feather
- Brazilian water milfoil
- Diamond milfoil
Habit, plant type:
- Myriophyllum aquaticum, weibliche Pflanze
- Myriophyllum brasiliense Cambess.
- Myriophyllum proserpinacoides Gillies ex Hook. & Arn.
Botanical name [?]: Myriophýllum aquáticum
Major group (unranked):
Seed plants: Flowering plants (Angiosperms)
Parrotfeather, or Myriophyllum aquaticum, originates from the south of South America, however, it has been introduced into many tropic to warm-temperate regions of the Earth. This Myriophyllum species usually forms large populations in the water, consisting of long shoots trailing on the water surface. The shoot tips rise above the waterline. The blue-green, finely-structured water-repellent emersed leaves are a typical characteristic of this plant.
It has long been known as plant suitable for garden ponds and aquaria as well, also under the synonym Myriophyllum brasiliense and the vernacular name "parrotfeather".
Several varieties of this species are in cultivation:
- Most frequently in trade: the tall-growing so-called standard form, whose emersed form only forms female flowers. The submersed leaves of this form assume a light orange-brown hue under strong light (see fig. 2).
- The submersed form of another variety, sold under the trade names "Myriophyllum elatinoides" and M. aquaticum "green", has a mainly dark to medium green colour, and only the tips of the leaflets are of a reddish brown. The shoot is narrower than that of the standard form. The emersed plant also develops male flowers.
- A small-staying form of M. aquaticum with pronouncedly dark red stems is often sold as plant for garden ponds.
- Recently, Myriophyllum aquaticum 'Santa Catarina', a local form from southern Brazil, has gained some popularity.
- To be continued -
This plant is a part of the following tanks:
There are no images in this gallery.
||medium to high
||4 to 28 °C
||15 to 25 °C
||2 to 14 °dKH
||5 to 7.5
|Carbon dioxide (CO2)
||15 to 40 mg/l
||10 to 50 mg/l
||0.1 to 3 mg/l
||5 to 30 mg/l
||0.01 to 0.5 mg/l
Cuttings Can grow emersed?:
Suited for outdoor cultivation / ponds:
hardy in Germany
There is no detailled information for cultivating this plant yet.
You can embed this entry directly into another web site or forum. Just copy and paste the following code:
Embed as HTML code
<a href="http://www.flowgrow.de/db/aquaticplants/myriophyllum-aquaticum-normalform" target="_blank"><img alt="Myriophyllum aquaticum ("Normalform")" title="Myriophyllum aquaticum ("Normalform")" src="http://www.flowgrow.de/db/widget/aquaticplants/myriophyllum-aquaticum-normalform" /></a>
Embed as BB code
Embed in Flogrow Forum
[widget=aquaticplants/myriophyllum-aquaticum-normalform]Myriophyllum aquaticum ("Normalform")[/widget]
There are no reviews so far. Do you want to write the first one?