Lomariopsis experiment, Mystery, Wishfull thinking.. Oder?

MarcelM

Sorry for the English, i can manage to write this in German but it would take me 10 times longer.. So i write it in English.. :tnx:

About a year ago i did put some Lomariopsis cf lineata in a little Weck glass with some sand and bits of sphagnum. closed it, put it away in a light and warm spot. Created a little Hermetosphere with Lomariopsis only and only opened it now and then to spray it, to simulate some rain. Since this is what a gametophyte, a ferns prothallium requires to propagete and since it can't hurt also with the wishfull thinking it might just do.

The chances it does are reportedly very low, since reportedly :besserwiss: nobody never ever managed to grow a Lomariopsis lineata from a Lomiaropsis cf lineata. So i have absolutely no references at all and only time will tell.

Anyway, after a year i found this 5mm plantlet growing in the bottle.. And since the best info on this plant is to be found here at flowgrow. I thought share the mystery flowgrow might be interested in it's development.

For now i have no idea what it is.. That i see simularities might be just wishfull thinking.. Could be a sneakin hiding in the Sphagnum i used.. But it definitively is a plantlet, so even not sure yet if it is a sporophyte.

But if it is what i think, or beter say hope, it is and if it realy turns into something like this
http://www.phytoimages.siu.edu/users/BarcelJF/2_12_13/12feb13a/Lomariopsislineata1.jpg
we might have a :bier:

:)
For now it's "What you see is what you get"

Btw, if you like to reply, for me you can do it also in German.. I can read it.. Only writing 10 lines correctly takes me hours and than it's still full of errors.

Heiko Muth (Sumpfheini)

Aquasabi Mitarbeiter
Teammitglied
Re: Lomariopsis experiment, Mystery, Wishfull thinking.. Ode

Hello Marcel,

welcome to the forum!
Really interesting, let's see how it develops. When the gametophyte was IDed by DNA analysis as Lomariopsis by Li & al., the sequences were most similar to L. lineata but matched to 97%, therefore only cf. lineata. Other Lomariopsis species are possible, the more interesting how the adult sporophyte looks like.

However, can you exclude contamination of the hermetosphere by spores of another fern?

Gruß
Heiko

MarcelM

Hallo Heiko,

No i absolutely can not exclude contaminantion.. I even do not know if it is a fern what is growing there.. I've used sand as substrate with bits of dried sphagnum. Maybe some spore or tiny seed traveled in with this. So it can be anything but.. The first thing that crosses my mind is, this all is coincidences and likely ends up in a bummer.

That little plantlet is so tiny at the moment and the bottle has a bit of milky glass. Even looking with a magnifying glass, i can't get a proper look, can not make a realy good clear macro picture. It looks like it grows from a piece of sphagnum.. It looks to fragile i don't have the courage to take it out. I do not want to damage it.. It's a what if and wait and see what comes out.. :paket: And if it is, at least it is recorded from the early start.

But for now, i also rather think it is nothing but coincidences. :)

But i'll keep you updated on what it turns into over time.

Heiko Muth (Sumpfheini)

Aquasabi Mitarbeiter
Teammitglied

Hi Marcel,

most fern species around have short-living, heart-shaped prothalliums, and the tiny sporophyte would most probably sit on a prothallium of this type, different from the strap-shaped Loma. prothallium, if it's germinated from a spore from outside.
Fingers crossed, I'm looking forward! If it turns out as the sporophyte of the "Suesswassertang", it would be worth writing an article about that.

Best wishes,
Heiko