Ludwigia sp. "Super Red" ('red', 'Mini Super Red')

linus87

Hello everybody!
This is another new and rare plants.
it is hybrid but I don't know other information.
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/plant-id/78658-ludwigia-repens-rubin-another-hybrid.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
it is a plant that grows moderately and its particularity is to have a stem and small leaves (about 1.5 cm long) totally red so this species is ideal for nano tank.
it is possible see the leaves of a red fire color under high light (about 1 w/l of T5).

Anhänge

• Ludwigia 2.jpg
    Ludwigia 2.jpg
    93 KB · Aufrufe: 3.979
  • Ludwigia sp. 'red'.jpg
    Ludwigia sp. 'red'.jpg
    92,9 KB · Aufrufe: 3.978

linus87

Re: Ludwigia sp. 'red'

Hi Olaf :)
yes, it is really beautiful but unfortunately it is not classified yet.

kiko

Hi Linus,
I am not sure if my Ludwigia is the same like yours, but it looks somehow similar. It is a slow pace plant and didnt really grow much, but always holds the red colour (regardless of ferts). On high light it looks a little bit purple and very nice, but also on low light around 0.27W/L (second pic in front) it holds a red colour and didn´t turn green.

Anhänge

• ww.jpg
    ww.jpg
    48,8 KB · Aufrufe: 3.882
  • 450.jpg
    450.jpg
    117,5 KB · Aufrufe: 3.887

Acciola

Hi Lino and Olaf,

I would say that your plant (Lino) and the one from extraplant looking very similar. Specialy in Lino's first pic and the 2nd from extraplant. And their description is similar too!
If I had space in my tanks I would try it immediately :D it seem's to be very interesting.

Regards, Olaf

kiko

Hi,
well, I think the differences are very small and the main difference may be still the light demand?
Yours and Extraplant seems to demand more light if it requieres like you say 1W/L T5 to get redfire colour, whereever that Ludwigia from my pic will do well even @0,27W/L T8.

Heiko Muth (Sumpfheini)

Aquasabi Mitarbeiter
Teammitglied

Hi,
as Lino writes, his Ludwigia sp. 'red' has quite small leaves, about 1,5 cm long. (@Lino: measured incl. leaf stalk?) In his and the pics on APC the leaves are all decussate (2 leaves per node).

@Olaf-Peter: how long are the leaves of Your Ludwigia?
Could it be that Your L. and the L. repens "Super Red" from Extraplant are identical with Ludwigia "Rubin" = "Weinrot"?
pflanzen/Ludwigia-Rubin-144.html
AFAIK the leaves of L. "Rubin" are considerably longer than 1,5 cm. Not wholly decussate, Some nodes have only 1 leaf.

Gruß
Heiko

kiko

hi Heiko,
AFAIK the leaves of L. "Rubin" are considerably longer than 1,5 cm. Not wholly decussate, Some nodes have only 1 leaf.
Yes, you are right - they are different plants: I measured the leafes and my plant has longer leafs, but I don´t know if it is the same plant like the Extraplanten Ludwigia Super Red.
(I buyed the plant years ago from a local shop)

linus87

Hi Heiko, 1,5 cm long. without leaf stalk, but it is really short.

Gilles

If you are sure that the plant is the super read from extraplant i would like to try it also, to get it cultavated in the Netherlands.

Heiko Muth (Sumpfheini)

Aquasabi Mitarbeiter
Teammitglied

Hello Gilles,
If you are sure that the plant is the super read from extraplant i would like to try it also, to get it cultavated in the Netherlands.
I mean it would be interesting to grow these 3 Ludwigias together - Lino's "Red", L. "Rubin" and the "Super Red" from Extraplant; that would be the only way to verify which are identical or different.

Gruß
Heiko

Heiko Muth (Sumpfheini)

Aquasabi Mitarbeiter
Teammitglied

linus87":1cqfvoue schrieb:
Hi Heiko, 1,5 cm long. without leaf stalk, but it is really short.
Thx, that and the habit of Your plant resembles a (probable) Ludwigia palustris that I've grown years ago. It produced many branches when trimmed, the colour of the leaves was cherry-red (as in the L. palustris pic in the Kasselmann book).

Cavan Allen has checked manini's emersed L. sp. 'Red', and it looks like L. palustris and is definitely not L. "Rubin": http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/foru ... post606357
But manini has written above that he had seen petals on the flowers - that would rule out L. palustris.

Gruß
Heiko

Heiko Muth (Sumpfheini)

Aquasabi Mitarbeiter
Teammitglied

Cool! Seems that they developed on a submersed stem. It would be interesting if they have yellow petals (inside; the outer green triangular flower leaves are the sepals). Emersed flowers might even develop into fruits with seeds.

Greets,
Heiko