Schismatoglottis "Pikachu" - vivaparity process

vasteq

One day i received a nice Schismatoglottis "Pikachu".

And well... I could not keep it alive underwater, but I kept its leaf. I close it in a zip-bag with a small amount of water. So it turned out that after a few months it grew a new seedling on the leaf.

Seedling produced its roots and now it seems to grow very nice. Seedling appeared around the main vein of the mature leaf. I want to say also that this is a second seedling on that same leaf already (first seedling accidentally dried up). Thanks to Heiko i read more information about this phenomenon and now I know that this is vivapirity process, already known so far in only one variety of Bucephalandra: Sorditula (trade name: Wave Leaf, Green Wave), and in some Schismatoglottis species: (Gui, Hayi). Probably the reason is high humidity, and was not observed any damage of the leaf. I think that those who keep Bucephalandra in paludariums should notice a similar process, but why not try it with other varieties? Maybe there's more varietes than we suspect.
After i public it on my FB site I received photo from one polish aquarist. He showed me "Green Wave" leaf with two, young seedlings. His photo:

Photo from November 2015:

Photo from January 2016

He bought it under that name "Green Wave" but I am not sure if it was emersed or submerged plant.
I suppose it could be a emersed version and after immersion in water it released such seedlings.

I would urge you to take a pair of scissors, cut leaf and test your variety :)

Anhänge

• 1 - flow.jpg
    1 - flow.jpg
    904,7 KB · Aufrufe: 696
  • 2 flow.jpg
    2 flow.jpg
    1.005,3 KB · Aufrufe: 692
  • SADZ flow.jpg
    SADZ flow.jpg
    1,2 MB · Aufrufe: 689
  • sadz2 flow.jpg
    sadz2 flow.jpg