Ludwigia Ovalis Pink or ?

Hello,
I have some new plants. I have never seen anything like this.

Anhänge

• ludwigia ovalis pink.jpg
    ludwigia ovalis pink.jpg
    1,7 MB · Aufrufe: 1.574

Heiko Muth (Sumpfheini)

Aquasabi Mitarbeiter
Teammitglied
Hello Alan,
odd, but looks nice... Was it labeled as Ludwigia ovalis Pink?
Are all leaves alternate, or are there also opposite leaves?

Gruß
Heiko

Hi Heiko
Yes very beautiful plant. I couldn't find any pict. of it, in internet. And yes was as ovalis pink. And grows very slowly too. Leaves are not too big as well, got very pink color.
Regards
Alan

Heiko Muth (Sumpfheini)

Aquasabi Mitarbeiter
Teammitglied
This Ludwigia is also new to me. Does it grow more slowly than L. ovalis? The stems appear to me a little sturdier than in ovalis, rather like L. glandulosa, except for the different leaves. And, once again, more information about its identity may be gained by growing emersed and flowering it. And Ludwigia hybrids are possible.
Generally, it's really unsatisfactory that so many new aquarium plants pop up in the trade and hobby without any background information published by the breeders or traders who introduced the plants first.

Gruß
Heiko

Heiko Muth (Sumpfheini)

Aquasabi Mitarbeiter
Teammitglied
Hello Alan,
nice! The L. o. "Pink" from You grows well also in one of the Aquasabi tanks.

I don't have experience with the standard Ludwigia ovalis, do You have also that plant? Differences would become most clear if both the normal ovalis and the "Pink" were grown close together. Additionally, as mentioned above, emersed culture and flowering, to check if the "Pink" really belongs to the species Ludwigia ovalis (I guess there are also other possibilities).

Greets
Heiko

Heiko Muth (Sumpfheini)

Aquasabi Mitarbeiter
Teammitglied
Hi Alan,
very good; the ovalis Pink will get an own Flowgrow database entry. Previously as L. sp. "ovalis Pink", as long as it's not clarified if it's really a variant of L. ovalis or something else (other species or hybrid; as mentioned, flowers are needed).
No background informations about the plant? By any chance, was it traded in Japan first?

Gruß
Heiko

Heiko Muth (Sumpfheini)

Aquasabi Mitarbeiter
Teammitglied
Thx, that sheds some light on the matter! If the plant was collected in the wild in China (is that known?), surely it would belong to Ludwigia ovalis. The species occurs in Japan as well as in China and Taiwan, and some variation within Ludwigia ovalis wouldn't be surprising, considering the wide distribution area.

These folks settled the discussion on aquariumlife.com.au by meaning that the differences are due to growth conditions only, but apparently they are wrong in this case.

Ludwigia ovalis "Green": http://bubblesaquarium.com/images/Plant ... opup_L.jpg - interesting. Apart from the color, it has apparently the same wavy leaf form as the "Pink"/"Red".

Gruß
Heiko